Fire-safe mobile charger invented in Finland

By Park Sae-jin Posted : June 4, 2015, 16:00 Updated : June 4, 2015, 16:00
A fire caused by an unplugged mobile charger destroyed a house in Finland in 2013, and then triggered an invention that can prevent such tragedy from happening again.

The newly invented ASMO mobile gadget charger can shut off automatically when the gadget is no longer connected to it, Finnish national radio Yle reported on Monday.

The charger has been ready for production, and the Finnish developers said their product was the first of its kind worldwide.

Chargers warm up and reach high temperatures and thus can cause a fire. The new ASMO charger will eliminate the fire hazard when the charger remains plugged, the report said.

The name of the new product is the first name of its main designer Asmo Saloranta. He got the idea in the wake of a fire where a charger that had not been unplugged damaged the childhood home of his fiance in Oulu, northern Finland.

The prototype was produced in 2014 and got a patent. Saloranta said that orders were being awaited.

By Ruchi Singh
기사 이미지 확대 보기