Journalist
Lee Hugh
=
-
'The King's Warden' continues successful box-office run, drawing 16 million viewers SEOUL, April 5 (AJP) - Director Jang Hang-jun's "The King's Warden" has attracted over 16 million viewers in about two months after its release in early February, the film's distributor said on Sunday. According to Showbox, the period drama drew about 153,000 moviegoers last Saturday alone to surpass 16 million in cumulative theater attendance since its release on Feb. 4, making it the third film to reach the milestone after the 2014 historical epic "The Admiral: Roaring Currents" which drew 17.6 million at the time of its release and the 2019 comedy "Extreme Job" with 16.2 million. Although "The King's Warden" was dethroned last weekend by Hollywood sci-fi blockbuster "Project Hail Mary" after weeks of box-office dominance, many viewers continue to return to theaters to watch the film more than once, and it could surpass "Extreme Job" to become the country's second-biggest box-office hit. The 117-minute film tells the story of Danjong, the sixth king of the Joseon Dynasty, who was exiled to Yeongwol, Gangwon Province. 2026-04-05 14:46:31 -
Oh Soo-min Takes Third at Augusta National Women’s Amateur, Best Finish by a South Korean Oh Soo-min of Shinseong High School finished third at the Augusta National Women’s Amateur, the best result by a South Korean player in the event’s history. Oh shot a 4-under 68 with four birdies in the final round on April 5 (Korea time) at Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia, a par-72 course. She ended the tournament at 9-under 207 to take sole possession of third place. The previous best finish by a South Korean player was a tie for fifth by Lim Ji-yu in 2023. “I was happy just to make it to the final round. Just playing at Amen Corner made me feel good. I wanted to take in those moments,” Oh said. “I think this experience will help me a lot.” Yang Yun-seo, also in the field, tied for fourth at 8-under 208. Kim Gyu-bin tied for 15th at 4-under 212, and Park Seo-jin tied for 27th at even-par 216. Colombia’s Jose Marin won the title at 14-under 202. The tournament, founded in 2019, began with 72 players who played the first two rounds at Champions Retreat Golf Club in Georgia. After the second round, the top 30 took a day off before playing the final round at Augusta National, home of the Masters. If the winner remains an amateur, she can compete in the event for the next five years and receives invitations to women’s major championships in that season.* This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-05 14:06:00 -
LG's clothing-care machine surpasses 2 million units in cumulative global sales SEOUL, April 5 (AJP) - LG Electronics' clothing-care contraption, called the LG Styler, has sold over 2 million units in cumulative global sales, the home-appliance giant said on Sunday. The milestone comes just five years after over 1 million units were sold in 2021, about a decade after its release in 2011. The machine, which resembles a combination of a wardrobe and a fridge, removes odors, dust, and wrinkles while sterilizing clothes, all without the time-consuming effort of washing. It is now sold in 27 countries worldwide. Sales have surged particularly in Asia and North America, with revenue in China, Taiwan, and the U.S. jumping more than 30 percent last year. LG credited its popularity in Asia to clothing habits involving uniforms and suits that aren't washed often, combined with keen interest in hygiene. LG said the machine, built on advanced technology with more than 200 patents, sanitizes 99.99 percent of harmful bacteria and viruses and removes over 99 percent of 18 types of everyday odors. It added that a moving hanger inside the LG Styler rotates up to 350 times per minute to reduce dust and wrinkles, with the latest version adding a feature that analyzes garment weight and suggests the optimal styling. "We will further strengthen our position in the global market by integrating artificial intelligence (AI) into core components and technologies," said Son Chang-woo, a manager in LG's home appliance division. 2026-04-05 12:31:21 -
Refiners hit by avalanche of woes as crude volatility, supply risks mount SEOUL, April 5 (AJP) - A surge in oil prices has given domestic refiners a short-term boost, but industry watchers warn that their gains may quickly evaporate as market volatility and supply constraints are expected to continue amid the prolonged conflict in the Middle East. At least until last month, refiners managed to keep operations steady by relying on existing inventories and alternative supplies, but risks are rising as crude prices swing sharply and securing feedstock becomes increasingly difficult. As of March, exports of petroleum products including gasoline, diesel, and naphtha surged to US$5.11 billion, with an average unit price of $925 per ton, up 33.3 percent from the same period last year. Dubai crude, which accounts for the largest portion of South Korea's crude imports, soared to $128.5 a barrel last month, up from $72.5 a year earlier. Over the same period, international gasoline prices rose to $128.8 from $79.6, while diesel jumped to $192.8 from $86.5. The country's four major refiners - GS Caltex, HD Hyundai Oil Bank, SK Innovation, and S-Oil - which earn over half their revenue from overseas sales, are expected to post stronger first-quarter results thanks to rising exports. Refining margins, which measure the profit from turning crude oil into products like gasoline and diesel, also jumped to $29.3 a barrel in March from $11.8 in February, further boosting their sales, according to Hana Securities. They were able to maintain operations at certain levels as tankers that had left the Persian Gulf before the Middle East crisis arrived. However, after a 2-million-barrel shipment reached South Korea on March 20, supplies under long-term contracts that usually pass through the Strait of Hormuz reportedly stopped. Refiners are now turning to spot purchases of Middle Eastern crude that bypasses the Strait of Hormuz, a critical chokepoint for roughly one-fifth of the world's oil supply, while also seeking alternative supplies from the U.S. and Africa. But intensifying competition among Asian refiners is pushing prices even higher. Some of them are reportedly considering temporary shutdowns, adjusting scheduled maintenance, or cutting operations to minimum levels. "Until March, we were able to manage with our inventories, but crude and petroleum prices are now highly volatile, making it difficult to predict what comes next," said an industry insider. "The uncertainty is so severe that we can't even see a day ahead." 2026-04-05 11:40:42 -
Korea Bio, Health Exports Top $4.16B in Q1 Despite War-Driven Uncertainty South Korea’s bio and health exports topped 6 trillion won in the first quarter, extending growth despite external uncertainty including war in the Middle East. The Korea Biopharmaceutical Association said Sunday that exports from January through March totaled $4.16 billion (about 6.3 trillion won). March exports rose 6.3% from a year earlier to $1.5 billion (about 2.3 trillion won). February increased 7.1% to $1.31 billion (about 2 trillion won), and January climbed 18.3% to $1.35 billion (about 2.035 trillion won). The association said biosimilars drove the gains, citing expanding demand in major markets including the United States and the European Union. It said exports have risen for five straight months. In the United States, about 90% (106) of biopharmaceuticals scheduled to lose patent protection from 2025 to 2034 have no biosimilar candidates in development, the association said, adding that Europe faces a similar situation. South Korean companies are expanding their presence on the back of those opportunities. Korea was named the country with the most U.S. Food and Drug Administration biosimilar approvals for two consecutive years in 2024 and 2025, the association said. Biosimilar exports rose 50% to $1.47 billion (about 2.2 trillion won) in 2022 from $980 million (about 1.4 trillion won) in 2021. The association forecast bio and health exports will rise 9% this year to $30.4 billion (about 46 trillion won), topping last year’s record $27.87 billion (about 42 trillion won).* This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-05 11:15:00 -
Trump ratchets up 'hell' threat against Iran as his ultimatum deadline looms SEOUL, April 5 (AJP) - U.S. President Donald Trump made yet another ominous threat to Iran on Saturday, saying Tehran has 48 hours to make a deal or reopen the Strait of Hormuz. In a post on his social medial platform Truth Social, Trump said, "Remember when I gave Iran ten days to MAKE A DEAL or OPEN UP THE HORMUZ STRAIT. Time is running out - 48 hours before all Hell will reign down on them." The fresh threat was a reminder of his earlier ultimatum to Tehran, just one day ahead of his April 6 deadline, extended for the Easter weekend from an initial March 27 deadline, when he had threatened to bomb Iranian power plants if Tehran failed to meet U.S. demands. Trump has ratcheted up his threats almost every other day, further escalating tensions with Iran. Earlier last week, he warned, "If the Hormuz Strait is not immediately open for business, we will conclude our lovely stay in Iran by blowing up and completely obliterating all of their-electric generating plants, oil wells and Kharg Island." The warning was followed by another threat during a televised prime-time address just two days later. "We are going to hit them extremely hard over the next two to three weeks. We are going to bring them back to the Stone Age, where they belong," he said. With the April 6 deadline now hours away, the world is watching nervously. Iran has shown no sign of backing down, and the strait - a vital chokepoint for about 20 percent of the global oil supply, remains largely closed, continuing to strain energy supplies, drive up oil and gas prices, and fuel financial market uncertainty. Iran has selectively allowed certain vessels - especially those carrying essential or humanitarian goods - to pass through the waterway, but Western tankers remain largely blocked or restricted. The Middle East crisis is worsening with no end in sight, as U.S. special and ground forces have reportedly crossed into Iran following the downing of a fighter jet last Friday, engaging in high-risk missions including searching for missing personnel, raising fears that the conflict could become prolonged and far more costly. Meanwhile, Trump said a U.S. crew member who went missing after the F‑15 fighter jet carrying a two-person crew was shot down by Iranian forces was saved early Sunday morning, two days after the jet's pilot was rescued. Hailing the operation as one of the "most daring search and rescue missions in U.S. history," he said, "The U.S. Military sent dozens of aircraft, armed with the most lethal weapons in the World, to retrieve him. He sustained injuries, but he will be just fine." 2026-04-05 09:55:39 -
SBS "Inkigayo" Announces Lineup Featuring IRENE, Kep1er, Park Jae-jung and OWIS SBS has announced a packed lineup for its music show "Inkigayo," airing the afternoon of the 5th. The episode will feature Kang Min, DIGNITY, Min Ji-woon, Park Jae-jung, Baby DONT Cry, V01D, Seo EVE, SLAY, IRENE, AtHeart, S2IT, OWIS, ALL(H)OURS, Yuna (ITZY), Jang Han-eum, CSR and Kep1er. Several artists will stage comebacks, including IRENE, Kep1er, Park Jae-jung, Jang Han-eum and Seo EVE. SLAY will deliver a solo "hot debut" stage, while virtual girl group OWIS will also present a "hot debut" performance. "Inkigayo," hosted by Eui-ju, Lee Hyun and Shin Yu, airs every Sunday at 3:20 p.m. * This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-05 00:03:17 -
Actor Song Il-gook Says Son Mingu “Scoffed” at His ‘Immortal Songs’ Appearance Actor Song Il-gook shared an update on his triplets. Song appeared on KBS2’s “Immortal Songs — 2026 Entertainment Industry King of Kings Special, Part 2,” airing on Friday afternoon. Song said it was his first time singing on a broadcast. He added that his wife is president of a court band club and that his son Mingu is preparing to study composition. Song said that when he told Mingu he would be appearing on “Immortal Songs,” his son responded, “What? Dad?” and then scoffed, drawing laughter. When Lee Chan-won asked whether the boys were at the age for adolescence, Song said it was “intense” and that he lives “praying day by day.” He said his wife works at a court, so the boys’ teenage frustrations are directed at him rather than their mother, which he described as difficult. Comedian Kim Jun-hyun said the boys probably would not like their father talking about them on TV during adolescence. Song replied, “Kids, please understand. I have to make a living.” * This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-04 20:51:14 -
Ryu I-seo Says IVF Hormone Shots Led to Weight Gain as She Prepares for Pregnancy Shinhwa member Jun Jin’s wife, Ryu I-seo, has shared details of her pregnancy preparations, including plans for in vitro fertilization. A video titled “First look at Jun Jin and Ryu I-seo’s love house, packed with must-haves from 1,000 won to 2 million won” was posted Thursday on the YouTube channel “Nae Sarang Ryu I-seo.” Asked by the production team about a pill case, Ryu said she carries supplements in it and that she and her husband take “at least 10 kinds a day.” When the team mentioned IVF preparations, she said she thought she had gained some weight because of hormone shots. “It can’t be helped,” she added. “I can lose it later.” Ryu said she considers it natural for the process to be physically difficult and that it is something she must endure for a child. She has previously said she is preparing for IVF, recalling that last year her husband suddenly became seriously ill and went to the hospital. She said she thought, “How would I live alone if this person were gone?” and decided to talk seriously with him about trying to conceive, saying she felt she could endure if she had a child who resembled him.* This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-04 19:48:14 -
S.Korea civil service exam attendance slips to 75 percent, competition intensifies SEOUL, April 04 (AJP) - The attendance rate for South Korea's national Grade 9 civil service written exam edged down to 75 percent this year, while overall competition continued to climb, the government said Saturday. Out of 108,578 eligible applicants, 81,479 took the 2026 exam held across 17 cities and provinces, according to the Ministry of Personnel Management. The 75 percent turnout marks a slight decrease from 75.2 percent last year and 75.8 percent in 2024. Despite the lower attendance, competition for the entry-level government positions rose to 28.6 applicants per opening, extending an upward trend from the previous year. 2026-04-04 17:56:46
