Journalist
Choi Song-hee
solarchoi@ajunews.com
-
Working-level officials set to hammer out implementation measures for bilateral agreements in Washington SEOUL, December 1 (AJP) - Officials from South Korea and the U.S. are set to meet for further working-level discussions in Washington this week after the two countries released a comprehensive joint fact sheet last month detailing agreements on bilateral trade and security. According to the Foreign Ministry, Deputy Foreign Minister Park Yoon-joo is set to meet with U.S. counterpart Christopher Landau on Monday in the first high-level talks since the release of the joint fact sheet on Nov. 14. Park is expected to urge the U.S. to expedite the implementation of the agreements, which include a U.S. commitment to support the reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel, uranium enrichment, and the construction of nuclear submarines using U.S.-supplied fuel. Upon arriving at Dulles International Airport in Washington, D.C., Park told reporters, "We will discuss various issues and how to make progress in implementing the agreements outlined in the fact sheet." When asked about establishing a bilateral consultative body on the matter, he said, "We will talk about that and other related issues." * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-12-01 16:18:52 -
South Korea imposes sanctions on Prince Group and others over online scams in Southeast Asia SEOUL, November 27 (AJP) - The government has imposed sanctions on 15 individuals and 132 business entities including Cambodia-based conglomerate Prince Group for their involvement in online scams and crimes targeting South Korean citizens in Southeast Asia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Thursday. This marks the country's first independent and largest sanctions against transnational criminal activities. According to the ministry, the sanctions target criminal organizations and their affiliates and other accomplices. The Prince Group, along with China-based Huiyuan Group, allegedly involved in large-scale online scams and money laundering, are among those sanctioned. The Prince Group was previously sanctioned by the U.S. and U.K., and the Huiyuan Group was flagged by the U.S. Treasury for money laundering. Sanctioned individuals and entities will face asset freezes, restrictions on financial transactions, and entry bans. The ministry said, "These sanctions demonstrate our commitment to fighting organized crimes, fraudulent schemes, trafficking, and other illicit operations in Southeast Asia. We will continue to work closely with international authorities to tackle these issues." * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-11-27 17:10:45 -
UN committee adopts resolution on North Korea's human rights abuses SEOUL, November 20 (AJP) - A resolution condemning North Korea's human rights violations was adopted by a UN committee, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs here said on Thursday. Quelling speculation that Seoul might withdraw under President Lee Jae Myung's rapprochement with Pyongyang, the resolution, co-sponsored by South Korea and 60 other countries, was passed at the UN General Assembly in New York the previous day for the 21st consecutive year and will be presented to the plenary session next month. After co-sponsoring the resolution from 2008 to 2018, South Korea withdrew under the Moon Jae-in administration due to concerns about inter-Korean relations, but rejoined in 2023 under the Yoon Suk Yeol administration's tougher stance toward the North. The resolution strongly condemns ongoing severe human rights abuses in North Korea and also addresses the renegade country's worsening humanitarian conditions. The ministry said, "We will continue to cooperate with the international community to improve the human rights of North Korean people." * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-11-20 15:28:09 -
South Korean envoy to attend Angola's 50th independence anniversary SEOUL, November 10 (AJP) - Former Ambassador Kim Dong-chan is visiting Angola this week as a special envoy to mark the central African country's 50th anniversary of independence. According to the Foreign Ministry, Kim is scheduled to attend the celebrations hosted by President João Lourenço and deliver a letter from South Korea's Foreign Minister. The ministry said that economic cooperation with Africa's second-largest oil producer, which is rich in natural resources, is strengthening, especially backed by recent contracts won by South Korean companies to build large oil tankers there. Angola gained independence from Portugal in 1975, after nearly 500 years of colonial rule. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-11-10 11:05:29 -
Washington requests 'more time' to sign tariff deal with Seoul, FM says SEOUL, November 6 (AJP) - Amid growing speculation over why South Korea and the U.S. are still unable to sign a memorandum of understanding (MOU) for their recent tariff-related deal, which was finalized on the sidelines of last week's Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in Gyeongju, Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said on Thursday that Washington has requested "more time." When asked what has caused the delay, Cho said during a parliamentary hearing, "Given the deal's vast scope, it is just taking time to check and fine-tune details between the two sides through an extensive review process." "I have heard that the U.S. side is in the final stage of review with relevant government agencies there," he explained, assuring lawmakers who had raised concerns about possible disagreements over specific terms or other issues. Cho added that both sides have already exchanged near-final drafts, hinting at the deal's imminent signing along with the release of a joint fact sheet outlining all the details. Nevertheless it remains to be seen when it will happen, as it has been repeatedly delayed. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-11-06 17:00:34 -
Unification Ministry undergoes organizational revamp to restore inter-Korean relations SEOUL, November 4 (AJP) - In its latest organizational overhaul, the Ministry of Unification revived its office handling inter-Korean dialogue while abolishing the one responsible for addressing North Korea's human rights violations and related issues. The ministry said on Tuesday the newly streamlined structure for its affiliated agencies took effect at midnight, after going through relevant legislative procedures. The office, abolished two years ago under disgraced former President Yoon Suk Yeol's hardline stance against North Korea, was reinstated along with its subcommittees and relevant agencies including those overseeing the inter-Korean industrial complex in Kaesong. In line with the revamp, which appears to reflect President Lee Jae Myung's engagement policy toward North Korea and his series of conciliatory gestures since taking office earlier this year, the ministry's staff will increase from 533 to 600, with senior positions rising from 18 to 20, while the number of departments and teams will expand from 52 to 58. A ministry official explained that the reorganization, which involved renaming or merging some agencies, aims to normalize the ministry's functions and restore inter-Korean relations. Unification Minister Jeong Dong-young, marking his 100th day in his post late last month, stressed that the reorganization reflects the Lee administration's commitment to pursuing peace on the Korean Peninsula. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-11-04 17:44:28 -
Unification minister sends condolences to former North Korean figurehead SEOUL, November 4 (AJP) - Unification Minister Jeong Dong-young on Tuesday expressed condolences over the death of North Korea's former perennial nominal head of state Kim Yong-nam. In a statement, Jeong said, "We express our condolences over Kim's death and extend our deepest sympathies to his family on behalf of the government," adding that Kim had led the North Korean delegation to the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, contributing to inter-Korean dialogue. Jeong also recalled meeting him in Pyongyang in June 2005 and September 2018, during which they discussed ways to improve inter-Korean relations and promote peace on the Korean Peninsula. With inter-Korean communication channels currently severed, the ministry opted to release a public statement rather than send a condolence message, according to a ministry official. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-11-04 14:34:31 -
South Korea to complete military satellite network with final launch on Sunday SEOUL, October 31 (AJP) - South Korea is set to complete its first military reconnaissance satellite network this weekend with the launch of a rocket carrying its fifth and final satellite under its “425 Project." The Ministry of National Defense said Friday that the rocket will lift off from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida at 2 p.m. (KST) on Nov. 2. Once operational, the five-satellite constellation will allow South Korea to monitor North Korean military movements with far greater speed and precision, enhancing the country’s “kill chain” — a preemptive strike capability that forms a core pillar of its defense system. The 425 Project is named for the Korean pronunciations of one electro-optical, infrared satellite and four synthetic aperture radar (SAR) satellites. The first satellite was launched in December 2023 and became operational the following August. Subsequent SAR satellites were launched in April and December 2024 and in April 2025, with three of them now fully operational. The project is part of South Korea’s broader effort to reduce reliance on U.S. intelligence assets and to build independent reconnaissance capacity. Unlike optical sensors, SAR technology can capture high-resolution images regardless of weather or lighting conditions, enabling round-the-clock surveillance. Once the network is complete, the system will be capable of revisiting specific sites in North Korea every two hours, according to the ministry. Jeong Kyu-heon, who heads the Defense Acquisition Program Administration’s Future Power Project Division, said the launch represents a turning point in South Korea’s space defense capabilities. “After securing the military reconnaissance satellite system, we will continue advancing micro-satellite development and establishing the infrastructure needed for space operations, including launch facilities and technology,” he said. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-10-31 11:06:35 -
FM urges regional cooperation against online scams at forum in Malaysia SEOUL, October 28 (AJP) - Foreign Minister Cho Hyun called for closer cooperation to tackle online scams and other crimes while discussing regional issues with participating countries at the annual East Asia Summit (EAS) in Kuala Lumpur, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Tuesday. According to the ministry, Cho emphasized the need to "work closely with EAS member countries and the broader international community" to combat the growing threat of transnational cybercrime and online scams increasingly targeting citizens across the region including South Koreans. His comments came after the recent revelation of a series of online job scams and phishing schemes targeting South Korean citizens, often involving kidnappings, detentions, and brutal torture by sprawling criminal rings in Cambodia. Cho also urged support for efforts toward North Korea's denuclearization to ensure peace and security on the Korean Peninsula. The EAS, an annual pan-Asian forum, was held following the biannual Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit attended by President Lee Jae Myung. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-10-28 13:31:04 -
Countdown begins as global leaders set to converge in Gyeongju for APEC summit SEOUL, October 28 (AJP) - The countdown to the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit has begun, with leaders from 21 member economies set to converge in South Korea's historic city of Gyeongju this week. According to diplomatic sources, participants from Australia, Canada, Indonesia, Japan, and the U.S. will gather ahead of the summit's opening on Friday. Among them were U.S. President Donald Trump, making his first visit since beginning his second, non-consecutive term earlier this year, and Chinese President Xi Jinping, whose visit is his first in about 11 years. Also attending is Japan's newly elected Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi, who took office last week, along with Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney, and Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto. Chilean President Gabriel Boric will be the only Latin American leader at the multilateral gathering. Chile was the first Latin American country to sign a free trade agreement with South Korea. Leaders from Hong Kong, Russia, and Taiwan will skip the summit, with representatives attending on their behalf. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-10-28 10:24:58
