Journalist

Choi Song-hee
  • Samchundang Pharm Shares Slide More Than 14% After Exchange Flags Disclosure Lapse
    Samchundang Pharm Shares Slide More Than 14% After Exchange Flags Disclosure Lapse Samchundang Pharm shares fell more than 14% after the Korea Exchange designated the company as an “unfaithful disclosure” firm over a disclosure lapse. According to the Korea Exchange on April 22, as of 10:38 a.m., the stock was trading at 407,500 won, down 14.30% from the previous session. Early in the session, it briefly dropped more than 28% to 342,000 won. The Korea Exchange’s KOSDAQ Market Division said the company was designated for failing to meet disclosure obligations and was assessed five penalty points, according to a filing released the previous day. Samchundang Pharm said it “humbly accepts” the exchange’s designation. The company said the issue stemmed from some information in a specific press release that could be interpreted differently from disclosure standards, adding that it is not directly related to the company’s business structure or performance. The exchange had previously issued a notice on March 31 that it planned to designate the company for failing to make a fair disclosure of outlooks or forecasts related to operating performance. With the latest action, the company’s cumulative penalty points over the past year total five. Under exchange rules, a single case resulting in eight or more penalty points can trigger a one-day trading suspension. If cumulative penalty points over the past year exceed 15, the company may be subject to a substantive review of listing eligibility.* This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-22 10:51:15
  • Hana Securities Raises LS Electric Target to 220,000 Won After Record Quarterly Results
    Hana Securities Raises LS Electric Target to 220,000 Won After Record Quarterly Results Hana Securities said April 22 that LS ELECTRIC posted its best-ever quarterly results and raised its target price to 220,000 won from 124,000 won. It maintained its “buy” rating. LS Electric reported first-quarter revenue of 1.3766 trillion won and operating profit of 126.6 billion won. Revenue and operating profit rose 33.4% and 45%, respectively, from a year earlier. Operating profit was roughly in line with the consensus estimate compiled just before the earnings release. Yu Jaeseon, an analyst at Hana Securities, said demand tied to data centers and renewable energy in Korea and overseas is driving continued expansion led by the company’s power business. He added that recurring profit margins would likely have exceeded 10% excluding labor costs booked as one-time expenses. Hana Securities said new orders in the first quarter totaled about 1.1 trillion won, up 27.4% from a year earlier, mostly for extra-high-voltage transformers and switchgear. It expects order growth to be led by extra-high-voltage products in the first half and by switchgear in the second half. Yu said rising investment by big tech companies in data centers is fueling structural growth in the switchgear business. He said the company is expanding products that can support areas such as on-site power generation and energy storage systems, and expects meaningful revenue and orders within the year.* This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-22 08:24:16
  • South Korea pledges $100,000 in aid to cyclone-hit Madagascar
    South Korea pledges $100,000 in aid to cyclone-hit Madagascar SEOUL, February 26 (AJP) - South Korea will provide US$100,000 in humanitarian aid to Madagascar to help the country recover from damage caused by a recent tropical storm, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Thursday. Madagascar, an island country off the southeastern coast of Africa, was recently struck by a tropical cyclone that left dozens dead and caused widespread damage including collapsed buildings, disrupted communications, and downed power lines. The ministry hopes the assistance will support recovery efforts in affected areas and help residents return to daily life as soon as possible. 2026-02-26 11:06:26
  • The Kings Warden on track to become Koreas biggest box-office hit after Exhuma
    'The King's Warden' on track to become Korea's biggest box-office hit after "Exhuma" SEOUL, February 22 (AJP) -"The King’s Warden" is rapidly emerging as South Korea’s next potential 10-million-viewer blockbuster, signaling a renewed appetite for domestic cinema after a year without a mega hit following "Exhuma" in 2024. According to the Korean Film Council’s integrated box office database, the historical drama drew 581,184 admissions on Friday, ranking No. 1 for the day. Its cumulative audience reached 5,260,595. Given packed cinemas nationwide over the weekend, the cumulative tally is likely to top six million admissions once weekend figures are fully reflected — a milestone many analysts now regard as all but certain. The film is directed by Jang Hang-jun and stars Yoo Hae-jin, Park Ji-hoon, Yoo Ji-tae, and Jeon Mi-do. In addition to box office momentum, audience reviews on South Korea’s leading portal Naver reflect strong viewer engagement. With more than 3,200 real-time audience ratings, The King’s Warden holds a 9.02 out of 10 average score, with: 73 per cent of reviewers rating it 9–10/10, 17 per cent rating it 7–8, and a gender split showing wider female viewer participation (66 per cent) vs male (34 per cent) Such robust ratings point to strong word-of-mouth, particularly among female audiences — a factor that industry observers say is helping sustain box office growth beyond the opening week. "The King’s Warden" reached the five-million mark two days faster than "The King and the Clown", the first Korean historical film to surpass 10 million viewers, and is tracking similarly to "Masquerade", which eventually drew more than 12 million admissions. Unlike many recent releases that peaked early and tapered off, this film’s attendance curve continues to rise, a pattern distributors associate with strong long-term potential. “At this pace, six million admissions look nearly certain, and reaching 10 million is well within reach,” said a senior distribution executive. Released on Feb. 4, the film has benefited from a favorable competitive landscape. With no major domestic blockbusters scheduled through the March 1 Independence Movement Day holiday, The King’s Warden has maintained wide screen availability and high occupancy rates. Set in 1457 during the Joseon Dynasty, the film explores the psychological isolation and daily life of the deposed King Danjong during his exile in Cheongnyeongpo, Yeongwol, and his unlikely bond with a village chief seeking to revive his struggling community. Distributors credit its emotional storytelling and ensemble cast with drawing audiences beyond traditional historical drama fans. The film’s success follows a challenging 2025 for Korean cinema. In 2025, no domestic film surpassed the 10-million-viewer mark, an unprecedented outcome outside of 2021 when theaters were largely shuttered due to pandemic restrictions. The year’s most successful local release, "My Daughter Is a Zombie", drew about 5.6 million viewers. The last Korean film to cross the 10-million threshold was "Exhuma" in 2024. At No. 2 was "Humint", directed by Ryoo Seung‑wan, which drew 100,053 viewers over the same period, with a cumulative total of 1,491,010. The espionage thriller stars Jo In‑sung, Park Jung‑min, Shin Se‑kyung, and Park Hae‑joon. Third place went to No. 1, directed by Kim Tae‑yong, with 6,724 admissions and a cumulative total of 223,399. Unlike many recent mid-range hits that cooled quickly after opening week, "The King’s Warden" continued to add audiences heading into its second weekend — a rare sign in the current theatrical landscape. “The combination of high viewer ratings and strong weekend occupancy gives this film a real shot at reaching the 10-million mark,” said a theater-chain analyst. If current momentum holds, the film is expected to top six million admissions comfortably in the coming days, and early forecasts increasingly point toward it becoming the first true Korean mega-hit in the post-pandemic era. 2026-02-22 11:45:03
  • South Korea, Netherlands hold inaugural 2+2 ministerial meeting in Seoul
    South Korea, Netherlands hold inaugural 2+2 ministerial meeting in Seoul SEOUL, February 11 (AJP) - South Korea and the Netherlands held a meeting attended by high-ranking foreign and trade officials from both countries in Seoul on Wednesday. Foreign Minister Cho Hyun and Trade Minister Yeo Han-koo met with their Dutch counterparts David van Weel and Aukje de Vries for the inaugural 2+2 ministerial dialogue. Pointing to a shift in the geopolitical environment with the spread of protectionism, they discussed ways to deepen cooperation across a wide range of areas, including emerging technologies, cybersecurity, and supply chains for semiconductors and critical minerals. They also adopted a joint statement pledging to strengthen strategic cooperation. The next meeting will be held in two years in The Hague. 2026-02-11 15:02:51
  • FM meets US energy chief to discuss nuclear cooperation
    FM meets US energy chief to discuss nuclear cooperation SEOUL, February 5 (AJP) - Foreign Minister Cho Hyun met with U.S. Secretary of Energy Chris Wright on the sidelines of a U.S.-led ministerial meeting on critical minerals in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday. According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs here, the two sides reaffirmed their commitment to the speedy implementation of a tariff-related bilateral agreement reached in October last year. The agreement includes Seoul's pledge to invest $350 billion in the U.S. as part of a broader deal to reduce reciprocal tariffs from 25 percent to 15 percent. But the deal now faces uncertainty as U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened to raise tariffs again, citing delays in carrying it out. Cho and Wright also agreed to work together to facilitate the implementation of the deal through working-level discussions, with Cho saying he expects that expanded cooperation on the construction of nuclear submarines as well as on uranium enrichment and the reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel will further strengthen strategic ties between the two allies. Wright said he would actively work to achieve tangible outcomes. 2026-02-05 11:24:26
  • South Korea, Poland agree to bolster security-related cooperation
    South Korea, Poland agree to bolster security-related cooperation SEOUL, February 3 (AJP) - South Korea and Poland have agreed to deepen security-related cooperation, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs here said on Tuesday. The inaugural dialogue between the two countries was held in Warsaw on Monday, as senior foreign ministry official Jeong Yeon-doo met with Robert Kupiecki, undersecretary of state at the Polish foreign ministry. According to the ministry, the two exchanged views on both bilateral matters and global security issues, while agreeing to share strategies and policies to expand their areas of cooperation. Jeong explained to Kupiecki South Korea's efforts to resume dialogue with North Korea. Kupiecki responded that he would support South Korea's pursuit of peace and security on the Korean Peninsula through a Polish mission in Pyongyang. They also agreed to hold follow-up talks in Seoul. 2026-02-03 09:42:46
  • Korean political leaders pay final respects to former Prime Minister Lee Hae-chan
    Korean political leaders pay final respects to former Prime Minister Lee Hae-chan SEOUL, January 31 (AJP) - A funeral service for former Prime Minister Lee Hae-chan was held on Saturday morning at the National Assembly Members’ Office Building in Seoul, drawing senior political figures from across the political spectrum. President Lee Jae-myung and first lady Kim Hye-kyung attended the service alongside National Assembly Speaker Woo Won-shik, Prime Minister Kim Min-seok and Lee’s family. Leaders and lawmakers from the ruling Democratic Party as well as opposition parties were also present to pay their respects. During the service, presidential political affairs secretary Cho Jung-sik, who served as chief executive of the funeral committee, read Lee’s biography, describing him as a lifelong public servant who carried out his duties with sincerity and responsibility. Prime Minister Kim delivered a eulogy, saying South Korea’s democracy “owes a debt” to Lee for his role in defending democratic values despite imprisonment and political persecution. Speaker Woo recalled Lee’s commitment to democracy during their time in prison in the early 1980s, quoting Lee as saying that “you can imprison the body, but you cannot imprison democracy.” Tributes were also delivered by Democratic Party leader Jung Cheong-rae, Seoul National University professor emeritus Baek Nak-chung and former Prime Minister Han Myung-sook. The ceremony concluded with a memorial video and a flower offering. Earlier in the day, a departure ceremony was held at Seoul National University Hospital’s funeral hall, followed by separate rites at the Democratic Party headquarters and the National Unification Advisory Council office. Lee will be cremated at the Seoul Memorial Park and laid to rest at the Milky Way Park in Sejong City. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2026-01-31 16:14:00
  • South Koreas ambassador to China wealthiest among senior officials
    South Korea's ambassador to China wealthiest among senior officials SEOUL, January 30 (AJP) - Ambassador to China Roh Jae-heon declared assets worth 53 billion won (US$38 million), making him the wealthiest among high-ranking officials, according to figures released by the Government Ethics Committee on Friday. Most of the assets held by the eldest son of former President Roh Tae-woo are in real estate, including land, buildings and residential properties registered under his or his spouse's name, along with savings and other holdings. His mother, the widow of the late president, owns a building valued at some 13 billion won. Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Cho Hyun reported 2.19 billion won in assets, including his home in Seoul's tony district of Yongsan valued at 698 million won. Ambassador to the United Nations Hwang Joon-kook declared assets worth 5.22 billion won, consisting of an apartment in Yongsan and holdings in stocks and bonds. Ambassador to the United States Kang Kyung-wha disclosed 5.58 billion won in assets including a building worth roughly 3 billion won. About 23 secretaries at Cheong Wa Dae own an average of 2.7 billion won in assets. In South Korea, public officials and ambassadors are required to disclose their assets as part of transparency and anti-corruption measures. 2026-01-30 09:13:44
  • South Korea, U.S. Hold Third Visa Working Group Talks; B-1 Adds Specialized Trainers Category
    South Korea, U.S. Hold Third Visa Working Group Talks; B-1 Adds 'Specialized Trainers' Category South Korean and U.S. government delegations held a third round of consultations under the “South Korea-U.S. Business Travel and Visa Working Group.” South Korea’s Foreign Ministry said the meeting was held in Seoul on Jan. 28. The South Korean delegation was led by Kim Seon Young, director general for bilateral economic diplomacy, and the U.S. side included Jonathan Fritz, senior deputy assistant secretary for East Asian and Pacific affairs. The U.S. side said a “Specialized Trainers” item has been added to the State Department’s Foreign Affairs Manual for B-1 (temporary business visitor) visas. It also said the U.S. Embassy in Seoul updated a new Korean- and English-language fact sheet on its website to clarify what activities B-1 visa and ESTA holders may conduct in the United States, reflecting the manual revision. The ministry said the specialized-trainer purpose includes providing training to U.S. workers and transferring specialized or proprietary techniques, skills or know-how. Requirements include having unique and scarce expertise not widely available in the United States; supporting a specific project related to industrial equipment, machinery or processes obtained or procured by a company outside the United States; and not receiving compensation in the United States. The two sides also reviewed the results of the working group and the operation of the KIT Desk, a dedicated channel at the U.S. Embassy in Seoul for companies investing in the United States. They discussed ways to create an opportunity in the first half of this year to explain visa-related issues to South Korean companies. They exchanged views on ensuring South Korean investment in the United States proceeds smoothly in strategic industries such as shipbuilding and held in-depth talks on mid- to long-term improvements. South Korea and the United States agreed to continue consultations at the next meeting to improve visa issues affecting personnel at South Korean companies investing in the United States and to keep monitoring progress, the ministry said.* This article has been translated by AI. 2026-01-28 17:27:19