Journalist

Jeon Seong-min
  • Tens of thousands of liters of jet fuel spill at US bases in Gunsan, Osan
    Tens of thousands of liters of jet fuel spill at US bases in Gunsan, Osan SEOUL, February 19 (AJP) - More than 40,000 liters of fighter jet fuel spilled at a U.S. Air Force base in the southwestern city of Gunsan last month, while a similar spill occurred at Osan Air Base in Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi Province earlier this month, U.S. Forces Korea said on Thursday. According to U.S. Forces Korea (USFK), the U.S. Air Force's 8th Fighter Wing detected a leak of about 41,600 liters of jet fuel from a fuel tank in an accident on Jan. 26 at Gunsan. There was reportedly no risk to the health or safety of nearby residents and communities, as the spill was cleaned up immediately. About 10 days later, a separate fuel spill was reported at Osan Air Base, home to the U.S. Air Force's 51st Fighter Wing. The spill occurred on Feb. 5 inside the base, and cleanup work is still ongoing, with about 870 liters recovered as of last week. Under the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), U.S. military bases in South Korea are provided by the South Korean government, which retains ownership of the land and facilities while granting the U.S. military the right to use them. 2026-02-19 15:26:02
  • South Korea mulls restoring no-fly zone along border
    South Korea mulls restoring no-fly zone along border SEOUL, February 19 (AJP) - South Korea is considering redesignating a no-fly zone along border areas while ensuring it does not affect military readiness, the Defense Ministry said on Thursday. In a regular media briefing, ministry spokesperson Jeong Bit-na said the ministry is consulting with relevant government agencies and the U.S. side to partially restore the inter-Korean military pact, which was signed in September 2018 to ease military tensions between the two Koreas but was scrapped in 2024 under the previous administration's hardline stance toward the North. The development comes after Unification Minister Chung Dong-young recently expressed regret over drones allegedly sent by civilians from South Korea to the North, while pledging to prevent a recurrence. Restoring such a zone would bar drones from flying within 15 kilometers of the Military Demarcation Line (MDL) in the eastern area and within 10 kilometers in the western area. When asked what types of aircraft or drones would be restricted, Jeong said military drones used for training would be exempt, but other unmanned aerial vehicles would be subject to the ban. But Some already raise concerns that restoring it solely on the South's side could weaken surveillance against the North. 2026-02-19 14:58:23
  • FM meets USFK commander at Camp Humphreys
    FM meets USFK commander at Camp Humphreys SEOUL, February 13 (AJP) - Foreign Minister Cho Hyun visited Camp Humphreys, a U.S. military base in Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi Province on Friday. According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Cho met with Gen. Xavier Brunson, commander of U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) earlier in the day. The visit was arranged after Brunson invited Cho during a luncheon last month that also included Elbridge Colby, the U.S. Defense Department's undersecretary of defense for policy, who was visiting South Korea at the time. Pundits speculate the two sides likely discussed ways to strengthen bilateral relations, covering various pending issues including possible changes in the role of USFK for the modernization of the bilateral alliance. 2026-02-13 14:46:03
  • South Korea vows swift action to prevent drone incursions into North Korea
    South Korea vows swift action to prevent drone incursions into North Korea SEOUL, February 13 (AJP) - South Korea on Friday vowed to take "immediate action" to prevent a recurrence of drone incursions into North Korea. "We will immediately implement measures to prevent similar cases from happening again," Unification Ministry spokesperson Yoon Min-ho said in a regular press briefing. The remarks came several hours later in response to a request earlier in the day by Kim Yo-jong, the sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. The ministry seems to interpret Kim's statement as a positive sign, as Yoon highlighted the North's emphasis on joint efforts to reduce tensions and prevent accidental incidents on the Korean Peninsula. Stressing that the government has consistently pursued peaceful coexistence between the two Koreas, Yoon said Seoul has repeatedly affirmed three principles under the current Lee Jae Myung administration: recognizing and respecting each other's system, refraining from any hostile acts, and not seeking reunification by absorption. The spokesperson added that the government is thoroughly investigating a recent drone incident to determine what happened, calling it a serious matter that contradicts those principles. 2026-02-13 14:09:05
  • South Korea to participate in annual multinational military exercise in Thailand
    South Korea to participate in annual multinational military exercise in Thailand SEOUL, February 12 (AJP) - South Korea will take part in a multinational combined exercise set to be held in Thailand next week, according to military authorities. About 390 South Korean Navy personnel and marines are set to depart the southern port city of Busan on Thursday to participate in "Cobra Gold," the largest multinational combined exercise held annually in Thailand since 1982 and hosted by U.S. Indo-Pacific Command. Scheduled for Feb. 23 to March 6, this year's exercise is expected to be one of the largest, featuring amphibious landings and other drills with military personnel from about 10 countries including Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore. South Korea will showcase its defense capabilities with home-grown amphibious assault vehicles, self-propelled howitzers, and other equipment. Among the highlights is Cheonho, a 30-mm wheeled anti-aircraft gun developed by Hanwha Aerospace, which will join live-fire training overseas for the first time. Col. Hwang Sang-geun, who leads the South Korean delegation, said, "Cobra Gold would provide an opportunity for the South Korean Navy and Marine Corps to strengthen combined military readiness and improve operational capabilities." 2026-02-12 11:04:10
  • Black Eagles paint Riyadh sky with dazzling aerobatics in debut performance
    Black Eagles paint Riyadh sky with dazzling aerobatics in debut performance SEOUL, February 10 (AJP) - South Korea's aerobatics team wowed spectators with impressive maneuvers at an air show in Saudi Arabia on Monday. It was the Black Eagles' first appearance at the show, which was part of the International Defense Industry Exhibition in the Middle Eastern country. After the Saudi Falcons’ performance, the Black Eagles took off with eight aircraft, forming star- and diamond-shaped patterns before moving into their other signature maneuvers, leaving colored smoke trails across Riyadh's sky. To the beat of traditional folk tune "Arirang" and "Golden" from Netflix's hit animated film "Kpop Demon Hunters," the team performed a series of routines including 360-degree turns. The highlight was its "Mugunghwa" maneuver, inspired by the country's national flower, the rose of Sharon, which symbolizes the country's perseverance and resilience. For the 30-minute show, spectators including South Korean expatriates packed areas around the runway to watch the dramatic maneuvers, cheering loudly and waving flags. In one breathtaking sequence, four aircraft approached at high speed in pairs from opposite directions, then narrowly crossed paths mid-air. Despite Riyadh's dry, high-altitude environment that reduces engine thrust and acceleration, the Black Eagles climbed to 8,000 feet (about 2,438 meters) and maintained top speed. Yoon Jong-geun, a South Korean expat in Saudi Arabia, said the team showed "another level of skill," compared with those he had watched earlier. "Just watching the Black Eagles fly over Saudi skies is a thrilling moment," he added. 2026-02-10 10:35:43
  • Military helicopter crashes in Gapyeong, killing two crew members
    Military helicopter crashes in Gapyeong, killing two crew members SEOUL, February 9 (AJP) - A military helicopter crashed in Gapyeong, Gyeonggi Province on Monday, killing two crew members, according to military authorities. The South Korean Army said the AH-1S Cobra went down at about 11:04 a.m. during training, which involved practicing emergency landings in conditions similar to an abnormal situation without shutting down the engine. The exact reasons for the crash were not immediately known. Two officers on board were rushed to a hospital immediately after the crash but were pronounced dead. The Army said it has grounded all AH-1S Cobras and is conducting an investigation to determine the cause. Defense Minister Ahn Gyu Baek, who is visiting Saudi Arabia, instructed the Army to ensure "swift and thorough recovery and follow-up measures," the ministry said. 2026-02-09 13:49:41
  • South Korea, Saudi Arabia agree to expand defense cooperation
    South Korea, Saudi Arabia agree to expand defense cooperation SEOUL, February 9 (AJP) - South Korea has agreed to strengthen cooperation with Saudi Arabia in the areas of security and defense, the Ministry of Defense said on Monday. Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back met his Saudi counterpart Khalid bin Salman Al Saud in Riyadh over the weekend, where they signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to expand biliteral cooperation. They said the MOU would establish a joint framework covering research and development, defense technology, and systems innovation, laying the groundwork for a forward-looking strategic partnership. Khalid said South Korea's technology and experience could help bolster Saudi Arabia's defense capabilities. Later in the day, Ahn attended a defense expo, stopping at booths run by South Korean defense companies to hear their views on arms exports. Now in its third year, the Saudi World Defense Show is one of the world's largest defense exhibitions. It kicked off on Sunday and runs through Thursday, with about 700 companies from 80 countries participating. 2026-02-09 09:21:09
  • Is dialogue in the offing as UN exempts North Korean aid from sanctions?
    Is dialogue in the offing as UN exempts North Korean aid from sanctions? SEOUL, February 6 (AJP) - The U.N. Security Council (UNSC) has decided to exempt a slew of humanitarian aid projects to North Korea from sanctions, multiple diplomatic sources said on Friday. Some 17 such projects, which had been on hold at the UNSC's sanctions committee on North Korea for about a year, were granted exemptions in a unanimous decision on Thursday, which some analysts interpret as Washington extending an olive branch to Pyongyang. The projects, which sought extensions for their previously granted exemptions, include five led by South Korea, four by foreign institutions including U.S.-based private organizations and eight by international bodies such as the World Health Organization (WHO), UNICEF, and the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization. With the looming possibility of talks between Washington and Pyongyang, pundits are speculating that U.S. President Donald Trump may seek dialogue with North Korea, coinciding with his upcoming trip to China in April. The exemption comes after a senior South Korean government official reportedly told reporters in Washington the same day, "There will be some new progress in the offing within a few days." But it remains to be seen whether it will bring North Korea to the dialogue table, as the isolated country has been refusing any assistance not only from South Korea but also from international organizations. 2026-02-06 17:36:45
  • South Korea in talks with UNC for more access to DMZ
    South Korea in talks with UNC for more access to DMZ SEOUL, February 6 (AJP) - South Korea is in close consultations with the U.N. Command (UNC) on ways to effectively manage the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ), the Ministry of Defense said on Friday. The development comes as South Korea reportedly proposed managing the southern side of the heavily fortified zone, which extends 2 kilometers south of the demarcation line separating the two Koreas. South Korea is seeking civilian access to more areas on the southern side of the front line, which have been under the UNC's jurisdiction since the 1953 armistice that ended the Korean War. But the UNC apparently opposed the proposal, saying it could make it difficult to maintain peace and stability in the buffer zone. South Korea currently have to obtain permission from the UNC whenever it needs to bring in heavy equipment for construction work, while some tourism projects remain halted. The ministry said it has been holding working-level talks with the UNC to manage the areas more efficiently since Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-baek assumed his post in July last year. 2026-02-06 14:37:04