Journalist

Choi Song-hee
  • South Korean Lawmakers Clash Over Trump’s Proposed Tariff Hike and Ratification Claims
    South Korean Lawmakers Clash Over Trump’s Proposed Tariff Hike and Ratification Claims Lawmakers traded blame Wednesday over President Donald Trump’s sudden plan to raise tariffs on South Korea, with the People Power Party arguing the government failed to secure National Assembly approval for follow-up steps in U.S. tariff negotiations after Prime Minister Kim Min Seok’s trip to Washington. The Democratic Party countered that Trump’s approach to diplomacy and trade is unconventional and said a unified political response is needed to strengthen South Korea’s negotiating position. People Power Party lawmaker Song Eon Seok told Foreign Minister Cho Hyun at a full meeting of the National Assembly Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee that Kim had promoted his U.S. visit by saying he “promised faithful implementation of follow-up measures” and that communications improved through a “hotline” with Vice President Vance. Song said that “the next day” Trump announced he would raise tariffs to 25%, calling it a betrayal. Song also cited Trump’s materials as using the word “approve” in asking why South Korea’s legislature had not approved what he called a “special law on investment in the U.S.” He argued it could be read as questioning why the National Assembly had not agreed to ratification, and he urged the government to seek parliamentary consent if there were undisclosed elements. People Power Party lawmaker Kim Gi Hyeon echoed the criticism, saying it was not a hotline but a “hotbaji line,” using a Korean term implying weakness. He asked why the government was not submitting a ratification motion despite what he said would be a heavy burden on the public. Party lawmaker Kim Tae Ho also pressed Cho, saying the government was blindsided “before the ink was dry” on self-congratulation over a trade deal and asking what it had done to prevent that outcome. Democratic Party lawmaker Lee Jae Jung said no one denies Trump’s “uniqueness,” but argued the opposition’s continued focus on ratification was effectively holding the government back and reducing agility in South Korea’s diplomatic and economic response. On the “South Korea-U.S. memorandum of understanding on strategic investment” signed in November last year, Lee said South Korea was not the only country to sign an MOU in that format and that no country was pursuing ratification procedures for it. Democratic Party lawmaker Hong Ki Won said Trump was taking steps outside established diplomatic practice and warned against treating each move as if South Korea were at fault. “Trump will do more,” Hong said, adding that it was important to respond calmly. Cho said he believed Trump’s statement about raising tariffs on South Korea was unrelated to the “Coupang situation” or the online platform bill. He said that after the message was issued, the ministry contacted the U.S. State Department and concluded there was no direct link to Coupang or the online platform legislation. Cho added that it was difficult to identify any specific, reasonable cause and said that may be why Trump issued an additional message. 2026-01-28 17:19:59
  • PM departs for Washington for possible meeting with US vice president
    PM departs for Washington for possible meeting with US vice president SEOUL, January 22 (AJP) - Prime Minister Kim Min-seok left for the U.S. on Thursday. According to his office, Kim boarded a flight to Washington, D.C., accompanied by a small group of aides. During his five-day U.S. itinerary, which marks his first overseas trip since assuming his post in July last year, he is scheduled for talks with senior U.S. government officials and may meet with U.S. Vice President J.D. Vance. He will also meet with South Korean nationals living there He will then travel to New York before returning home early next week. His office expects the trip will contribute to further strengthening the country's relations with its closest ally. 2026-01-22 14:53:39
  • PM to visit Washington this week for first overseas trip
    PM to visit Washington this week for first overseas trip SEOUL, January 21 (AJP) - Prime Minister Kim Min-seok is set to visit the U.S. this week, his office said on Wednesday. Kim will travel to Washington, D.C., and New York from Thursday to Monday, marking his first overseas trip since assuming the post in July last year. During his five-day trip, Kim will meet senior U.S. government officials, hold talks with members of the U.S. House of Representatives, and meet with South Korean nationals living there. His office expects the visit will contribute to further strengthening the country's relations with its closest ally. 2026-01-21 09:43:03
  • FM to visit Turkey, Belgium this week
    FM to visit Turkey, Belgium this week SEOUL, January 20 (AJP) - Foreign Minister Cho Hyun will visit Turkey and Belgium later this week, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Tuesday. "Cho will travel to Turkey on Wednesday for talks with his Turkish counterpart Hakan Fidan," the ministry's deputy spokesperson Lee Moon-bae, said during a press briefing in Seoul. The meeting is part of follow-up steps after President Lee Jae Myung's state visit to Turkey in November last year. Cho is expected to discuss progress on key bilateral projects in nuclear energy, defense, biotechnology, and infrastructure. Cho will then head to Belgium the following day for talks with Kaja Kallas, vice president of the European Commission. The two sides are expected to discuss key regional issues including Greenland, which has drawn international attention following U.S. President Donald Trump's repeated pressure over the Danish territory. Cho is also scheduled to meet with Belgian Deputy Prime Minister David Clarinval. The two are expected to discuss ways to expand cooperation and exchanges to mark the 125th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the two countries this year. 2026-01-20 16:59:38
  • US, South Korean officials meet for working-level talks on nuclear energy cooperation
    US, South Korean officials meet for working-level talks on nuclear energy cooperation SEOUL, January 19 (AJP) - South Korean officials visited Washington last week to prepare for working-level talks on nuclear energy cooperation with the U.S., the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Monday. During his two-day trip last Thursday and Friday, Rim Kap-soo, who leads a task force for the talks, met with senior U.S. officials at the State Department and the Energy Department, including Christopher Yeaw, a State Department assistant secretary, and Matthew Napoli, a deputy administrator at the National Nuclear Security Administration. Rim and other South Korean officials reportedly emphasized cooperation with the U.S. on reprocessing spent nuclear fuel and enriching uranium for commercial and peaceful purposes. According to the ministry, U.S. officials will visit Seoul soon for follow-up talks to implement agreements outlined in a joint fact sheet signed by the leaders of both countries during their summit in Seoul last fall. Rim's visit comes after national security adviser Wi Sung-lac traveled to the U.S. and met with Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Energy Secretary Chris Wright. 2026-01-19 17:52:41
  • No South Korean casualties reported in high-speed train collision in Spain
    No South Korean casualties reported in high-speed train collision in Spain SEOUL, January 19 (AJP) - No South Korean casualties have been reported in a high-speed train collision in Spain, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs here said on Monday. The South Korean diplomatic mission in Spain continues to monitor the situation and is verifying whether any South Korean nationals were affected. So far, there have been no reports or confirmed cases of South Korean casualties," an official there said. At least 21 people have been killed after two high-speed trains derailed and collided in southern Spain on Sunday, according to local media. The death toll could rise, with about 100 people injured. 2026-01-19 13:53:09
  • North Koreas UN envoy defends Russias airstrikes on Ukraine as self-defense
    North Korea's UN envoy defends Russia's airstrikes on Ukraine as 'self-defense' SEOUL, January 13 (AJP) - North Korea on Tuesday defended Russia's recent air strike on Ukraine as a "just exercise of the right to self-defense of a sovereign state," amid its deepening military ties with Moscow. According to the state-run Korean Central News Agency, North Korean Ambassador to the United Nations Kim Song attended an emergency U.N. Security Council meeting in New York following Russia's barrage of missile attacks on Ukraine last week. In a statement, Kim said, "I express serious concern and strongly denounce and reject the shameless acts of Ukraine which covered up its heinous terrorism against Russia and took issue with Russia over its legitimate measures against it." "The terrorist act targeting the absolute sovereignty of a country can never be justified, and retaliation of justice can never be demonized by any assertion," he added. Russia had earlier warned of retaliation, accusing Ukraine of carrying out drone attacks on President Vladimir Putin's residence late last year and on a civilian café and hotel in occupied Kherson early this month. 2026-01-13 17:04:53
  • Acting US envoy leaves Seoul after brief stint
    Acting US envoy leaves Seoul after brief stint SEOUL, January 7 (AJP) - Acting U.S. Ambassador to Seoul Kevin Kim returned to the U.S. less than three months after assuming the post. According to diplomatic sources on Wednesday, Kim recently notified the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of his departure. He is believed to have left for the U.S. to spend Christmas and has not returned to Seoul, as he may be assigned a new role there. The Korean American, who handled North Korea-related affairs at the U.S. State Department from 2018 to 2020, Kim arrived in October last year, after being appointed to the interim post. He coordinated a summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and South Korean President Lee Jae Myung on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in the southeastern city of Gyeongju. Kim's sudden departure raises concerns here, as the ambassador post has been vacant for almost a year. Former Ambassador Philip Goldberg left the position in January last year, and since then, two acting ambassadors, Kim and Joseph Yun, another Korean-American who previously served as U.S. special representative for North Korea policy, have temporarily filled the role. In a statement on its website, the U.S. Embassy in Seoul said, "James 'Jim' Heller is currently serving as the Chargé d'Affaires ad interim," adding that he "began his assignment in Seoul as the Deputy Chief of Mission" in July last year. The career diplomat, who "most recently served" in Australia, New Zealand, and the Pacific Islands, is a U.S. Army veteran. He holds a B.A. and M.A. from the University of Michigan and is a graduate of the Hopkins-Nanjing Center. 2026-01-07 15:12:19
  • North Korea conducts drill involving hypersonic missiles
    North Korea 'conducts drill involving hypersonic missiles' SEOUL, January 5 (AJP) - North Korea has tested "hypersonic missiles" with its leader Kim Jong-un in attendance, state media reported on Monday. According to the state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), the hypersonic missiles were fired the previous day from a site near Pyongyang as part of a missile-launching drill and "hit targets" in the East Sea as Kim "oversaw" the drill along with senior military officials. The KCNA said, "Important achievements have been recently made in putting our nuclear forces on a practical basis and preparing them for an actual war." "It is a very important strategic task to maintain and expand a powerful and reliable nuclear deterrent through the sustained verification of key components of war deterrence and the improvement of its performance and the mastering of operational capabilities," it quoted Kim as saying. "To be honest, our such activity is clearly aimed at gradually putting the nuclear war deterrent on a high-developed basis. Why it is necessary is exemplified by the recent geopolitical crisis and complicated international events," it added, apparently referring to the capture of Venezuela's authoritarian leader Nicolás Maduro in a lightning military operation by U.S. forces. Specific details of the missiles were not disclosed, but based on their range and trajectories, they are believed to be from the country's Hwasong series of ballistic missiles. 2026-01-05 09:55:11
  • Seoul assesses fallout after US capture of Venezuelan president
    Seoul assesses fallout after US capture of Venezuelan president SEOUL, January 4 (AJP) - The government is assessing any fallout after the U.S. captured Venezuela's authoritarian leader Nicolás Maduro in a lightning military operation the previous day, while monitoring further developments. In a statement on Sunday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged, "All relevant parties should exercise maximum restraint to ease tensions in the region" and expressed hope that democracy will be restored as soon as possible through dialogue. The ministry added that it is taking all necessary measures to ensure the safety of South Korean nationals in Venezuela. According to the ministry, about 70 South Koreans are currently in Venezuela, most of them in Caracas, with no injuries reported as of Saturday. U.S. military forces raided Maduro's presidential palace in Caracas, captured him along with his wife and son, and airlifted them by helicopter to the USS Iwo Jima amphibious assault ship. At a press conference at his private residence in Mar-a-Lago, Florida, U.S. President Donald Trump said, "We're going to run until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition" to new leadership. But he added, "We can't take a chance that someone else takes over Venezuela that doesn't have the interests of the Venezuelan people in mind." He also warned the U.S. is ready to launch a "second and much larger attack" if needed. Maduro, who has been accused of involvement in illegal cocaine and narcotics trafficking, arrived in New York earlier in the day and is expected to face drug-related charges. 2026-01-04 12:43:00