Journalist

Choi Song-hee
  • North Korea fires multiple ballistic missile into East Sea
    North Korea fires multiple ballistic missile into East Sea SEOUL, January 4 (AJP) - North Korea fired a ballistic missile into the East Sea, the Joint Chiefs of Staff said on Sunday. The Joint Chiefs of Staff said it detected several projectiles, believed to be ballistic missiles, launched around 7:50 a.m. from a site near Pyongyang, but provided no further details as it analyzes the launch site and missile type. It was North Korea's first ballistic missile launch this year and came about two months after it fired a short-range ballistic missile in November last year. Shortly after the launch, the government here convened an emergency meeting of top security officials from related agencies and urged Pyongyang to stop provocative actions, saying they violate U.N. Security Council resolutions. South Korean authorities are closely monitoring North Korea for any further provocations while heightening military readiness. The North's latest provocation came just hours before President Lee Jae Myung's four-day trip to China for a summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping. It also came a day after U.S. President Donald Trump abruptly announced the capture of Venezuela's authoritarian leader Nicolás Maduro, along with his wife and son, in a military operation. Maduro, who has been accused of involvement in illegal cocaine and narcotics trafficking, was reportedly flown to New York to face drug-related charges. 2026-01-04 10:04:23
  • South Korean defense minister conducts New Years Day command flight
    South Korean defense minister conducts New Year's Day command flight SEOUL, January 01 (AJP) -South Korean Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back conducted a command flight on New Year’s Day under escort by domestically produced fighter jets in a symbolic move to demonstrate military readiness across the Korean Peninsula, the Ministry of National Defense said Thursday. Ahn boarded an Air Force E-737 Peace Eye airborne early warning and control aircraft before dawn for what the ministry described as an “airborne command post” operation. Six Air Force fighter jets escorted the flight, including the KF-21, FA-50 and TA-50. It marked the first time domestically produced aircraft have been deployed to escort a command flight, the ministry said. During the mission, Ahn held a series of command-line briefings with frontline commanders to assess operational readiness. Those briefed included the captain of the Navy’s Gwanggaeto the Great destroyer operating in the East Sea, an Air Force flight leader responsible for aerial patrol and escort missions, the battalion commander of the Marine Corps’ 6th Brigade defending a front-line contact area, and the Army commander overseeing a guard post in the 22nd Division. Ahn later spoke by secure line with Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Jin Young-seung, stressing the importance of maintaining a strong state of readiness and a fully prepared operational posture. During the calls, the defense minister checked for any unusual developments along the front lines and in key operational areas. He thanked service members for their dedication, saying, “Thanks to your commitment, our people can welcome the New Year in peace,” and urged commanders to maintain a gap-free readiness posture throughout the year. Ahn also underscored the importance of self-reliant defense capabilities, saying, “Only when we have the strength to protect ourselves can sustainable peace be possible,” adding that the military must “proactively prepare for the future security environment based on our own defense capabilities.” * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2026-01-01 14:51:15
  • South Korean Prime Minister Kim Min-seok pledges people-driven policies, growth and stability in New Year address
    South Korean Prime Minister Kim Min-seok pledges people-driven policies, growth and stability in New Year address SEOUL, January 01 (AJP) - South Korean Prime Minister Kim Min-seok vowed on Thursday to steer national policy based on the will of the people, outlining a government agenda centered on growth, stability and peace in his New Year’s address. Kim said the administration, launched last year “with a heavy heart” amid concerns about a crisis in democracy, is beginning 2026 with renewed confidence in economic recovery. “This year will mark the first step toward a greater leap forward for South Korea,” he said. He emphasized easing public anxiety and stabilizing state affairs, calling for “a complete clearing out of insurrection” and measures to prevent similar events by reinforcing democratic foundations. Kim said South Korea is at a critical moment as global interest in the “K-brand” accelerates, adding that the country must use the momentum to modernize its industrial structure and strengthen competitiveness. The government, he said, will pursue growth through an “ABCDE” strategy encompassing AI, biotech, cultural content, the defense industry and energy — while ensuring that the gains are shared broadly across society. He also pledged stronger safety measures to reduce industrial accidents and suicide, and support for vulnerable groups, including economically struggling youth and neighbors in need. On inter-Korean affairs, Kim said South Korea’s “bigger leap” is possible only on a foundation of peace, adding that the government will “walk steadily on the path toward peace” on the Korean Peninsula. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2026-01-01 10:25:55
  • Romanian envoy named chief negotiator for nuclear talks with Washington
    Romanian envoy named chief negotiator for nuclear talks with Washington SEOUL, December 23 (AJP) - South Korea's ambassador to Romania Rim Kap-soo has been named as the country's chief negotiator for nuclear energy-related talks with the U.S. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Tuesday that Rim, appointed the previous day, will lead a task force to revise a decades-old agreement with Washington that bans South Korea from reprocessing spent nuclear fuel and enriching uranium. Rim, who worked at the International Atomic Energy Agency in 2016, is considered an expert in the fields of nuclear energy and nonproliferation. After completing his commitments in Romania, he will return to Seoul in early January to assume his new role. 2025-12-23 16:53:16
  • South Korea, US hold consultative talks to coordinate North Korea policy
    South Korea, US hold consultative talks to coordinate North Korea policy SEOUL, December 16 (AJP) - Officials from South Korea and the U.S. on Tuesday held talks to coordinate policies toward North Korea. According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the consultative meeting among relevant ministries and agencies, led by Jeong Yeon-doo, head of the ministry's office of diplomatic strategy, was held in Seoul, with acting U.S. Ambassador to South Korea Kevin Kim in attendance. Defense and security officials from both countries also attended, discussing relevant issues and exchanging opinions. The ministry explained that the meeting was held to bolster close cooperation for the complete denuclearization of North Korea and other issues for the peace of the Korean Peninsula, proposing regular meetings for consistent policies toward the North. But amid discords between ministries, officials from the Ministry of Unification, which handles inter-Korean affairs, did not attend. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-12-16 15:33:45
  • FM offers condolences to victims of shooting rampage in Sydney
    FM offers condolences to victims of shooting rampage in Sydney SEOUL, December 15 (AJP) - Foreign Minister Cho Hyun expressed condolences to the victims and their families of a shooting rampage in Sydney, Australia over the weekend. "I am deeply saddened by the tragic loss of lives in the terrorist attack at Bondi Beach," Cho wrote on X on Monday, adding, "I extend my heartfelt condolences to the victims, their families, and the people of Australia." Cho stressed that terrorism is an "inhumane, anti-civilization crime that cannot be justified under any circumstances," assuring that South Korea "stands with Australia during this difficult time." The shooting rampage occurred on Sunday at a Jewish community event at Bondi Beach, a popular tourist spot in eastern Sydney, killing 16 people. The suspects, identified as a father and son, were involved, with the father killed at the scene. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-12-15 16:43:55
  • South Korea, US conduct joint anti-terror drill in Seoul
    South Korea, US conduct joint anti-terror drill in Seoul SEOUL, December 15 (AJP) - A joint drill between South Korea and the U.S. is underway in Seoul, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Monday. The two-day drill, dubbed "Winter Tiger," which runs Tuesday, is aimed at responding to nuclear and radiological terrorism, involving about 120 officials from both countries. Participants are simulating a radiological terror attack to evaluate emergency response capabilities and cooperation strategies between the two countries. The annual drill, co-hosted with the U.S. Departments of War and Energy, has been held since 2017. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-12-15 15:03:16
  • Lee to visit Japanese PMs hometown next month
    Lee to visit Japanese PM's hometown next month SEOUL, December 9 (AJP) - President Lee Jae Myung is planning a visit to Japan's historic city of Nara next month for a summit with Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi. Nara, the ancient capital during the island country's early imperial era, is Takaichi's hometown. As part of shuttle diplomacy to strengthen bilateral ties, Lee previously said he had expressed his desire to visit Nara during a meeting with her in late October on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in the southeastern city of Gyeongju, and she had welcomed the idea. Lee is also considering a visit to Beijing to meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping after his trip to Japan. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-12-09 09:58:18
  • US envoy reaffirms Washingtons commitment to denuclearization of North Korea
    US envoy reaffirms Washington's commitment to denuclearization of North Korea SEOUL, December 08 (AJP) - Acting U.S. Ambassador to Seoul Kevin Kim on Monday reaffirmed Washington's commitment to the complete denuclearization of North Korea in collaboration with South Korea. After a closed-door meeting in Seoul earlier in the day with South Korea's First Vice Foreign Minister Park Yoon-joo, Kim said U.S. President Donald Trump and South Korean President Lee Jae-myung "reiterated their commitment to the complete denuclearization of North Korea," which remains "our current Korea policy." His comments appear intended to counter concerns raised after a recent U.S. National Security Strategy (NSS) report omitted the customary phrasing. The report, released last Friday, also does not contain any mention of North Korea. Kim then highlighted ongoing cooperation between the two allies on various issues, citing his recent meetings with Unification Minister Chung Dong-young and Defense Minister Ahn Kyu-baek. He added that talks with South Korean officials will continue. When asked about any talks or progress in revising the bilateral nuclear energy pact, Kim said discussions are under way, but it still remains to be seen. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-12-08 14:30:51
  • Seoul presidential office moving back to Blue House by X-mas
    Seoul presidential office moving back to Blue House by X-mas SEOUL, December 07 (AJP) - The presidential office in Seoul will return to the Blue House by Christmas while readying a stronger national data-protection measures and a renewed push for dialogue with North Korea as the Lee Jae Myung administration moves beyond the phase of "a stabilization of diplomacy, security and governance" in the first six months after a snap election and presidential impeachment. The move out from Yongsan premise will be "essentially finished around Christmas," said presidential chief of staff Kang Hoon-sik in a press briefing on Sunday, looking back the first six months under Lee presidency. The return to the presidency’s “rightful home” will become a symbolic reset for the administration as it enters its second phase, he said. The government will reinforce its data-security framework before year-end following the massive personal-information leak at Coupang, building on what officials described as an “initial comprehensive response” already in place. National Security Adviser Wi Sung-lac used the six-month briefing to emphasize that while inter-Korean relations have seen little movement, the administration has rebuilt the diplomatic environment needed to attempt genuine engagement next year. He rejected speculation that Seoul might adjust its joint military drills with the United States as a goodwill gesture toward Pyongyang, saying the idea is “not under direct consideration” and stressing that exercises remain a function of “evolving security circumstances.” ' Pyongyang has not responded to Seoul’s recent offer of military talks to clarify parts of the Military Demarcation Line and prevent accidental clashes, but President Lee has reiterated that dialogue remains open and necessary. Wi said the administration had worked “without pause” to normalize foreign and security policy that he argued had deteriorated in previous years. He pointed to the stabilization of the Korea-U.S. alliance, “unexpectedly forward-looking” progress with Japan, and the shift of Korea-China ties from their “worst point” toward a recovery track as groundwork for a relaunch of inter-Korean diplomacy. He added that the presidential office plans to execute a “Korean Peninsula Peace Coexistence Process” beginning next year, now that broader regional alignments have been reset. The administration also outlined follow-up steps to last month’s security and tariff negotiations with Washington, including task forces on enriched uranium consultations, nuclear-powered submarine cooperation, and expanded defense-budget coordination. Working-level talks will begin this month, with tangible results expected in the first half of next year. Wi said these efforts reflect Seoul’s intention “to assert a more proactive defense posture” while reaffirming U.S. security guarantees and moving toward the eventual restoration of wartime operational control. On the economic front, Kang and Policy Chief Kim Yong-beom highlighted the successful conclusion of the Korea-U.S. tariff negotiations as a signature achievement of the administration’s first half-year. Kim said public trust and “the competitiveness of Korean manufacturing” were the foundation of the breakthrough and signaled that Seoul will use the agreement to upgrade the alliance into a 21st-century technology-security-economic partnership. The presidential office said it evaluates its six-month performance under three themes: restoring the public’s everyday economic conditions, normalizing foreign and security policy, and governing with a citizen-first framework. As for the ruling party’s proposal to establish a special court division to handle insurrection-related cases, the presidential office said it would proceed only within “the narrowest constitutionally permissible boundaries.” * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-12-07 19:32:04