Journalist

Younsun Choi
  • Seoul seeks to document abuses amid claims of US detention mistreatment
    Seoul seeks to document abuses amid claims of US detention mistreatment SEOUL, September 22 (AJP) - South Korea’s Foreign Ministry has begun surveying more than 300 of its citizens who were detained by U.S. immigration authorities in Georgia, after some former detainees alleged they were subjected to mistreatment while in custody. The survey, distributed this week to 316 South Koreans who have since returned home, asks respondents to describe the circumstances of their arrest and their experiences during detention. It will remain open for a week, and participants may also request follow-up interviews, officials said Monday. The initiative comes after detainees claimed they were denied access to legal counsel, held in poor conditions and subjected to verbal abuse while in the custody of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. Several of those detained had reportedly overstayed their visas or violated immigration rules, according to U.S. officials, though rights groups in South Korea have criticized the scale of the enforcement operation. The South Korean government said it plans to use the results to identify systemic issues and, if warranted, raise concerns with Washington. “We are committed to ensuring that the rights of our citizens are protected, even when they are overseas,” a ministry official said. The episode underscores the often fraught nature of U.S. immigration enforcement, which has drawn international scrutiny in recent years. Georgia, home to one of the largest immigration detention complexes in the United States, has faced multiple lawsuits alleging unsafe and inhumane conditions. A 2020 whistle-blower complaint, for example, accused a facility in Irwin County of performing unnecessary medical procedures on female detainees, sparking investigations by the U.S. Congress. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-09-22 14:36:57
  • Govt launches task force to tackle US visa issues after Georgia immigration raid
    Gov't launches task force to tackle US visa issues after Georgia immigration raid SEOUL, September 18 (AJP) - The government launched an interagency task force to address issues related to U.S. visas. The task force, led by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in cooperation with the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy and the Ministry of SMEs and Startups, aims to ensure that the concerns raised by South Korean businesses are reflected during negotiations with the U.S. The move follows the weeklong detention of hundreds of South Korean workers during a sweeping immigration raid in Georgia earlier this month. The task force will also work with business lobbies such as the Korea Enterprises Federation and the Korea Federation of SMEs, with plans to hold regular meetings to tackle strategies for streamlining visa processes and easing U.S. entry for South Korean businesspeople. During his meeting with Secretary of State Marco Rubio last week, Foreign Minister Cho Hyun proposed forming a "working group" to discuss visa-related issues and prevent similar incidents from recurring. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-09-18 17:24:17
  • Travel advisory issued for parts of Cambodia
    Travel advisory issued for parts of Cambodia SEOUL, September 16 (AJP) - A travel advisory was issued for some parts of Cambodia amid a rise in employment scams and detentions involving South Korean nationals, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Tuesday. The advisory includes a special travel warning for Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville, Bokor Mountain in Kampot Province, and Bavet, a border town in Svay Rieng province. The ministry urged South Koreans planning to visit these areas to cancel or postpone their trips. Those currently in the affected regions are advised to relocate to safer areas. "We will continue to closely monitor the situation in Cambodia and determine whether any further adjustments are necessary," the ministry said. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-09-16 16:37:54
  • South Korea, China to hold foreign ministers meeting in Beijing
    South Korea, China to hold foreign ministers' meeting in Beijing SEOUL, September 15 (AJP) - Foreign Minister Cho Hyun will visit Beijing this week, making his first trip to China since assuming his post. According to the Foreign Ministry, Cho is scheduled to hold talks with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi on Wednesday during his two-day visit. The meeting's agenda is expected to include North Korea-related issues and raise concerns over large steel structures recently installed by Chinese authorities in waters near the West Sea. Although it is China's turn to visit Seoul following his predecessor Cho Tae-yul's trip to Beijing in May last year, Cho intends to prioritize practical diplomacy over protocol. * This article, published by Aju Business Daily, was translated by AI and edited by AJP. 2025-09-15 11:31:49