Journalist

임윤서
Im Yoon-seo, Lee Yongjae
  • North Korea directly names Trump administration, warns of response
    North Korea directly names Trump administration, warns of response SEOUL, February 22 (AJP) - North Korea warned on Saturday that it will respond to the “enemies’ military strategic threat” with its own "strategic means," directly naming the Trump administration for the first time. A statement from the chief of the Information Office at North Korea’s Ministry of National Defense on Saturday said, “Since the emergence of the Trump administration, the U.S. and its vassal forces are getting evermore pronounced in their military provocations threatening the security environment of the DPRK.” The official cited the recent dispatch of a B-1B strategic bomber to the Korean Peninsula as an example. North Korea accused Washington of ramping up provocative military movements in the region, saying, "The U.S. is also mulling again staging the large-scale joint military exercises Freedom Shield, which includes seven rounds of brigade-level joint field maneuvers more compared to that of last year, in March in collusion with ROK in order to push the military tension in the region to an extreme phase." The ministry further claimed that the U.S. is attempting to justify its nuclear buildup while branding North Korea’s nuclear deterrence as illegitimate, arguing that such efforts "can never work on the DPRK ." It is highly speculated that Pyongyang is setting the stage to justify future military actions or using the suspension of U.S.-South Korea drills as a potential precondition for talks with Washington. In recent weeks, North Korea’s Ministry of National Defense has repeatedly issued press statements, responding swiftly to U.S.-South Korea joint drills, strategic weapons deployments, and discussions on North Korea’s denuclearization. While Pyongyang previously referred broadly to the "U.S." or "U.S. administration" in its statements, this time it directly mentioned the "Trump administration." 2025-02-22 15:09:45
  • Trump warns of tariffs over foreign regulations on U.S. tech firms
    Trump warns of tariffs over foreign regulations on U.S. tech firms SEOUL, February 22 (AJP) - U.S. President Donald Trump said Friday that he would take strong action, including tariffs, against foreign governments imposing unfair regulations on American tech giants like Google, Amazon, and Meta. “What they’re doing to us in other countries is terrible with digital,” Trump said on Friday, directing his administration to address what he described as unfair trade practices harming U.S. companies. He accused foreign governments of restricting the success of American tech firms and diverting economic benefits that should remain in the United States. A White House official said Trump has instructed his administration to consider potential responses, including tariffs, “to combat the digital service taxes (DSTs), fines, practices, and policies that foreign governments levy on American companies.” Although he did not name specific countries, South Korea is seen as one of the countries that could come under scrutiny. The U.S. government has long raised concerns over Seoul’s network usage fees and restrictions on cross-border data transfers, viewing them as trade barriers for American firms. If tariffs are imposed, South Korea’s IT sector and economy could take a hit, given its deep ties to global markets. Trump also took aim at digital service taxes imposed by France, Austria, Italy, Spain, Turkey, and the United Kingdom, calling for a review of whether to reinstate trade measures under U.S. law. His move is expected to escalate tensions over digital trade regulations, particularly with the European Union and South Korea. However, it remains unclear whether the administration will follow through with tariffs or pursue legal action, as Trump may prioritize other policy issues, including geopolitical conflicts and domestic economic recovery. 2025-02-22 14:30:32
  • Yoon faces additional charge for alleged interference in arrest attempt
    Yoon faces additional charge for alleged interference in arrest attempt SEOUL, February 21 (AJP) - President Yoon Suk Yeol is facing new charges of obstructing law enforcement by using an agency responsible for his personal security, police said Friday. Police said Yoon instructed the Presidential Security Service (PSS) to block officers from executing his arrest warrant. They explained that they had obtained encrypted messages exchanged between Yoon and PSS Deputy Chief Kim Sung-hoon via "Signal," a highly secure American messaging app. Investigators say Yoon directed Kim to ensure that the security team would intervene to prevent an arrest attempt if one were made. The exchanges reportedly took place on Jan. 3, the day of the first arrest attempt, and again on Jan. 7. "While we cannot disclose the exact contents of the messages, we believe they provide direct evidence that Yoon ordered efforts to block his arrest," a police official said. Tensions reportedly arose within the PSS over Yoon’s directive. Kim, considered a hardliner, relayed the order to staff, but some members refused to comply. On Jan. 15, during the second arrest attempt, some PSS officers did not intervene, leading to Yoon’s detention. They questioned the legality of blocking law enforcement officers and chose not to follow the directive. The suspicion that President Yoon interfered with the execution of his arrest warrant was part of the initial request for Deputy Chief Kim’s detention. However, the investigation has been hindered by prosecutors repeatedly rejecting Kim’s detention request, citing a lack of sufficient evidence. Since Yoon remains the sitting president, it is unclear whether legal proceedings on these charges will continue until the Constitutional Court reaches a verdict on his impeachment. 2025-02-21 16:23:32