South Korea's Foreign Minister Says Trump Administration's Training Reduction Surprised Both Governments

by Jun sungmin Posted : August 19, 2026, 15:48Updated : August 19, 2026, 15:48

South Korea's Foreign Minister Cho Hyun stated that neither the South Korean government nor U.S. officials were aware of President Donald Trump's directive to reduce joint military exercises.


During a session of the National Assembly's Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee on August 19, Cho mentioned that he learned about the decision through social media (Truth Social), adding, "Therefore, we were not notified in advance."


Following Trump's remarks, Cho instructed the South Korean Embassy in the U.S. to inquire with relevant agencies and discuss countermeasures, noting that communication took place with U.S. Ambassador to South Korea Michelle Steel and other officials.


Regarding the reduction of the joint military exercises, Cho said, "I understand that Defense Minister Ahn Kyubak has been closely coordinating with the U.S. side since the information appeared on Truth Social. Since our minister was involved in the discussions, I do not consider it a unilateral notification."


On the potential impact of the training reduction on the transfer of wartime operational control, Cho predicted, "Since this reduction is indeed at the request of the U.S., it cannot be used as a reason to delay the transfer of operational control further."


Cho also commented on reports that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un responded to Trump's proposal for dialogue, stating that the U.S. is pushing for a North-U.S. summit this fall. He described this as a "turning point in a new phase."


He added, "The government has been fully prepared to open dialogue with North Korea and intends to work closely with the U.S. to seize this opportunity."


Cho noted that he has communicated this position to the U.S. but has not yet received a response. He also mentioned that inquiries have been made regarding the specifics of North-U.S. contacts.


In response to concerns that the U.S. might pursue dialogue with North Korea without involving South Korea, Cho stated, "The Foreign Ministry is taking immediate action through consultations with U.S. agencies to ensure that the South Korea-U.S. alliance is not weakened."


Defense Minister Ahn Kyubak also testified before the National Assembly's Legislation and Judiciary Committee, stating, "No officials from either the South Korean or U.S. governments were aware of the content posted by President Trump on social media."


He added, "Since then, I have been in close consultation with the U.S. side to discuss various pressing issues."


The Joint Chiefs of Staff announced that the ongoing regular U.S.-South Korea joint exercise, Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS), will be adjusted to conclude by August 21, instead of the originally planned date of August 27. The UFS exercise is a routine joint training aimed at defending the Korean Peninsula in case of emergencies.


Unification Minister Jeong Dong-young expressed during the National Assembly's Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee meeting that Trump's directive to reduce the joint military exercises stems from concerns about peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula. He stated, "The Unification Ministry shares this decision by President Trump and hopes it leads to meaningful North-U.S. dialogue and an improvement in inter-Korean relations."





* This article has been translated by AI.