South Korea to trial selective volunteer military recruitment next year

by Lee Jung-woo Posted : August 20, 2026, 14:51Updated : August 20, 2026, 14:51
People Power Party Rep Sung Il-jong questions Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back during a plenary meeting of the National Assembly’s National Defense Committee on Aug 20 2026 Screenshot from NATV’s YouTube channel
Rep. Sung Il-jong (left) of the main opposition People Powe Party (left) and Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back speak during a parliamentary hearing in Seoul on Aug. 20, 2026, in this grab from NATV's YouTube channel
SEOUL, August 20 (AJP) - South Korea will recruit about 3,000 technology-focused noncommissioned officers (NCOs) next year on a voluntary basis, Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back said Thursday. The move is part of efforts to attract more skilled personnel through voluntary-based, selective recruitment.

During a parliamentary hearing in Seoul, Ahn said the government plans to begin selective recruitment in 2027, with about 3,000 volunteers to be trained as technology-focused NCOs capable of operating advanced weapons systems.

But the country will keep its current mandatory military service while giving eligible men the option of serving as regular soldiers or applying for technology-focused NCO positions with a three- or four-year service period.

The NCOs would specialize in advanced fields such as manned-unmanned teaming, cybersecurity and artificial intelligence (AI).
 
Democratic Party Rep Jin Seong-joon chair of the National Assembly’s National Defense Committee presides over a plenary meeting of the committee on Aug 20 2026 Screenshot from NATV’s YouTube channel
Rep. Jin Seong-joon of the ruling Democratic Party speaks during a parliamentary hearing in Seoul on Aug. 20, 2026, in this grab from NATV's YouTube channel
The plan is a key defense initiative of President Lee Jae Myung, who said last week that the country's persistently low birthrate is making it difficult to maintain its current manpower- and infantry-focused military structure.

Lee called for the military to become a "smart, elite and powerful force" centered on advanced equipment and technology.

The Defense Ministry is expected to unveil more detailed plans by the end of this year, with the new recruitment set to begin next year and be adjusted as needed.

Rep. Jin Seong-joon of the ruling Democratic Party (DP), who chairs the National Assembly's National Defense Committee, told AJP, "It's about time it was introduced," referring to the proposal for selective volunteer recruitment.

"I believe it should be implemented to secure the skilled military personnel our armed forces lack," Jin added.

Meanwhile, during the hearing, Ahn estimated that North Korea has 80 to 120 nuclear weapons, higher than the 57 cited by U.S. President Donald Trump a day earlier.

When asked about the discrepancy, Ahn said the figures "appear to be slightly different," adding that it was difficult to provide an exact figure. He stressed, however, that Seoul does not officially recognize North Korea as a nuclear-armed state.