Journalist
Seo Hye Seung
-
Trump Evacuated After Gunfire at WHCA Dinner; Same Hotel as 1981 Reagan Shooting Gunfire broke out at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner, prompting an emergency evacuation of President Donald Trump and drawing renewed attention to a past presidential shooting at the same hotel. CNN reported that the shooting on April 25 (local time) occurred at the same location where President Ronald Reagan was targeted in an assassination attempt while in office. The Washington Hilton Hotel was the site of the March 30, 1981, attack in which Reagan was shot by John Hinckley Jr. as he was leaving the hotel. Reagan suffered a serious injury, including a gunshot wound that pierced a lung and caused severe internal bleeding. During the dinner, Trump was rushed out under U.S. Secret Service protection. He later wrote on his social media platform, Truth Social, that a suspect had been arrested and that all attendees were safe. He also said he planned to hold a news conference in the White House briefing room 30 minutes later to explain the situation.* This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-26 11:15:14 -
WMO Warns Strong El Nino Possible by Mid-2026, Raising Flood Concerns for South Korea The World Meteorological Organization has formally announced that a strong El Nino could develop by mid-2026. South Korean climate experts urged early preparations for possible heavy rain in the country’s south and for water-resource management, with some warning the event could intensify into a “super El Nino.” According to the Science Media Center Korea on Saturday, the WMO said Thursday afternoon (Korea time) that sea-surface temperatures are rising rapidly in the equatorial Pacific, making it likely El Nino will return around May to July 2026. The WMO said the episode is likely to develop into a strong El Nino. El Nino refers to sea-surface temperatures in the central and eastern equatorial Pacific running at least 0.5 degrees Celsius above average. Through ocean-atmosphere interactions, it can disrupt global climate patterns and trigger a mix of extremes depending on the region, including drought, heavy rain, heat waves and shifts in hurricane activity. In its outlook for May to July, the WMO projected above-average surface temperatures in nearly all regions, with especially pronounced warmth expected in the southern United States, Central America, the Caribbean, Europe and North Africa. Rainfall signals vary widely: precipitation is expected to increase in southern South America, the southern United States, the Horn of Africa and parts of Central Asia, while drought is forecast for Australia, Indonesia and parts of South Asia. During the Northern Hemisphere summer, hurricane activity tends to increase in the central and eastern Pacific, while Atlantic hurricane formation is typically suppressed. The WMO cautioned that uncertainty remains in intensity forecasts because of the “spring predictability barrier,” adding that forecast accuracy improves after April. In South Korea, scientists are debating whether the event could grow to a record scale. Kuk Jong-seong, a professor in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Seoul National University, said the odds of a strong El Nino are “very high,” citing unusually warm tropical oceans, heat buildup in the western Pacific warm pool and the potential for ocean-atmosphere coupling. He said it would be difficult to rule out a super El Nino if westerly wind bursts occur repeatedly in the western and central Pacific in April and May, pushing the Nino 3.4 index to 2.5 degrees Celsius or higher. During the 2015 super El Nino, widespread abnormal weather was observed, including global heat, drought and heavy rain. Yeasook Oh, a professor in the Department of Climate and Energy Systems Engineering at Ewha Womans University, said El Nino events that develop in summer do not affect South Korea in a consistent way and can be highly variable. He said variability in rainfall and temperature is likely to be greater than normal. Huh Chang-hoi, also a professor at Ewha Womans University, countered—citing his own research—that South Korea’s climate is not strongly influenced by El Nino or La Nina. Experts also urged caution in timing any assessment of impacts. Koo Ja-ho, a professor of atmospheric sciences at Yonsei University, and Park Jae-heung, a research professor at Seoul National University, noted that El Nino typically develops in summer and fall and peaks in winter. They said regional impacts such as temperature and precipitation should be evaluated based on the winter of December 2026 to February 2027, not May to July 2026. Climate specialists warned that any El Nino developing on top of already elevated global temperatures could have broader effects than in the past. * This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-26 11:09:16 -
South Korea to Inspect Livestock Traceability, Grading and Origin Labels; DNA Tests Possible South Korea’s Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs said Saturday it will conduct a joint inspection of livestock product traceability, grading and country-of-origin labeling from Sunday through May 15, working with the National Agricultural Products Quality Management Service, the Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency and local governments. The roughly three-week crackdown will focus on businesses suspected of violating rules on price and grade labeling and origin labeling for livestock products sold online and through other channels, the ministry said. If inspectors suspect false labeling of traceability numbers during on-site checks, they will also conduct DNA identity tests. The Korea Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation has carried out on-site checks under the livestock traceability system and used the results to improve operations. The ministry said the institute has also established a notice requiring it to report field findings to enforcement agencies, a step officials expect will improve the efficiency of inspections. Jeon Ik-seong, head of the ministry’s livestock distribution team, said the government will continue to strengthen inspections and enforcement against violations of the traceability system to eliminate illegal distribution and supply consumers with safe, reliable livestock products.* This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-26 11:03:44 -
South Korea to Launch ‘So-Prize 2025’ Hanwoo Sale With Discounts Up to 50% South Korea’s Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs said Saturday it will run a nationwide Hanwoo beef discount campaign from Sunday through May 10, offering markdowns of up to 50% at Nonghyup-affiliated Hanaro Mart stores, major supermarkets and leading online malls. The online Hanwoo marketplace operated by the Hanwoo Self-Reliance Fund will hold its sale from Sunday through April 30. Most online and offline retailers will run promotions from April 29 through May 10. Store-by-store schedules are available on the websites of the Hanwoo Self-Reliance Fund, the National Hanwoo Association and Nonghyup Economic Holdings. Discounted items include popular cuts such as sirloin, brisket and other beef used for bulgogi and soup, spanning grades from 1++ to Grade 2. Participating sellers plan to offer, per 100 grams of Grade 1 beef, sirloin at 7,160 won and brisket at 4,810 won, about 16% to 25% below typical prices. Lee Jae-sik, the ministry’s director general for livestock policy, said the event was designed to give households a chance to buy high-quality Hanwoo at more reasonable prices during Family Month. He said the ministry will continue discount campaigns to ease consumers’ burden and help stabilize livestock product prices.* This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-26 11:03:16 -
Trump Says He Will Hold White House Briefing After Suspected Shooting at Press Dinner President Donald Trump said he would hold a White House news conference after what he described as a suspected shooting incident at a dinner for the White House press corps on April 25 local time. In a post on his social media platform, Truth Social, Trump said law enforcement asked those at the scene to leave under established procedures and that they would comply immediately. "We will hold a press conference in the White House briefing room in 30 minutes," he wrote. Trump added that the first lady, the vice president and all Cabinet members were safe. He said he had spoken with event officials and that the dinner would be held again within 30 days. Earlier, Trump was evacuated after what the report described as gunfire-like sounds during the dinner at the White House. He later said the suspect was arrested, crediting law enforcement.* This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-26 10:57:48 -
Iran Foreign Minister to Return to Pakistan, Raising Prospects for Second Round of Talks Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi is expected to return to Pakistan on April 26 (local time), Iran’s state media reported, as speculation grows about whether ceasefire talks with the United States could resume and a second round could still be held. IRNA, citing Iran’s Foreign Ministry, said on April 25 that Araghchi would “return to Pakistan again after completing his Oman schedule and before heading to Russia.” His trip had been expected to run Pakistan-Oman-Russia, but was adjusted to include a return to Pakistan after Oman. IRNA said some members of Araghchi’s delegation returned to Tehran for consultations and instructions related to ceasefire discussions. They were expected to rejoin him on the night of April 26 in Islamabad. Araghchi visited Pakistan on April 24 with a small delegation and met with Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir, fueling expectations that a second round of talks could be held over the weekend. But after Araghchi delivered Iran’s demands and traveled to Oman on April 25, and the United States canceled plans to send its negotiating team to Pakistan, some observers questioned whether the talks had effectively collapsed. Even after the U.S. cancellation, President Donald Trump left the door open, saying, “If they want to talk, all they have to do is call.” He also said he received “a much better new document” in less than 10 minutes, suggesting Iran had put forward a new proposal. The purpose of Araghchi’s return to Pakistan remains unclear. Still, with the United States signaling it remains open to dialogue and Pakistan continuing mediation, attention has again turned to the possibility of renewed talks. The United States had been preparing to send Jared Kushner and special envoy Steve Witkoff for negotiations, and it was also reported to have considered having Vice President JD Vance join the team if the situation progressed.* This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-26 10:57:16 -
Lotte Tour Development Chairman Kim Ki-byeong Wins April 19 Revolution Service Award Kim Ki-byeong, chairman of Lotte Tour Development, has received the April 19 Revolution Service Award in recognition of his contributions to carrying on the spirit of the April 19 Revolution. Kim received the award on the 24th at the 44th National Prayer Breakfast marking the 66th anniversary of the April 19 Revolution, held at the April 19 Revolution Memorial Library in Seoul’s Seodaemun District. The National Prayer Breakfast is jointly hosted by the April 19 Democratic Revolution Association, the bereaved families association of April 19 victims and the association of April 19 meritorious persons. Since 2013, the service award has been presented each year to one person who has contributed to advancing the revolution’s core values of freedom, democracy and justice. Kim was at the forefront of the April 19 Revolution in 1960, serving as president of the student council at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies and as chair of a nationwide university student order-restoration committee. He later continued related work, including serving as executive committee chair for the 50th anniversary commemorative project and as chair for the 60th anniversary commemorative project. In 2024, he was selected as a national patriots honoree and received the Moran Medal, a Republic of Korea National Order of Merit, in recognition of those contributions. “Receiving this meaningful award makes me feel a heavy sense of responsibility,” Kim said. “I will continue to do whatever small part I can to help protect and spread the values of the April 19 Revolution.”* This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-26 10:51:49 -
Hana Bank teams with KIND and Vietnam’s BIDV to expand infrastructure finance and QR payments Hana Bank is expanding its finance and payments footprint in Vietnam through partnerships with a state-owned Vietnamese bank and a South Korean public agency. The bank said April 26 that it signed a three-way memorandum of understanding on April 23 with the Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam, known as BIDV, and the Korea Overseas Infrastructure & Urban Development Corp., or KIND, at the Korea-Vietnam Business Forum in Hanoi. Under the agreement, the three organizations plan to build a strategic partnership in infrastructure and energy, urban development and green projects, and to jointly identify investment opportunities to support South Korean companies entering the market. Hana Bank also said it will deepen cooperation with BIDV, one of Vietnam’s four major state-owned banks, to link investment development with financial services. Hana Bank is also moving into Vietnam’s digital payments market. Working with its subsidiary GLN International, it launched a cross-border QR payment service in partnership with Vietnam National Payment Corp., known as NAPAS, and BIDV. Hana Bank said it is the only South Korean financial institution participating in the project as a settlement bank, while GLN will operate payments directly connected to Vietnam’s national QR network. Users can pay at major tourist destinations including Da Nang, Nha Trang and Phu Quoc through domestic banking and financial technology apps without exchanging currency, the bank said. Hana Bank CEO Lee Ho-seong said the bank will combine Vietnam’s growth potential with its international financial capabilities to create practical value. He said the strategy, spanning infrastructure finance and digital payments, aims to provide convenient and stable services and to upgrade the bank’s global payments network. 2026-04-26 10:51:06 -
Court: Labor Ministry staffer’s sub-$30 meal with Coupang executive did not violate anti-graft law A court has ruled that a Labor Ministry employee and a Coupang Logistics Service (CLS) executive did not violate South Korea’s anti-graft law by sharing a meal costing less than 30,000 won per person, finding no quid pro quo. According to legal officials on the 25th, Seoul Central District Court Judge Cho Ji-hwan of the court’s Civil Division 79 recently decided there was no need to impose an administrative fine on A, an employee at a local office under the Ministry of Employment and Labor, or on Coupang CLS for an alleged violation of the Improper Solicitation and Graft Act. The judge also decided not to proceed with a fine trial for A after the ministry withdrew its notice of the alleged violation. The court said there was no ongoing guidance, supervision or inspection case involving Coupang CLS at A’s office at the time of the meal, and found the meeting was for social purposes that did not hinder the proper performance of duties. The court cited that the per-person meal cost was 27,500 won, within the 30,000-won limit allowed under the law’s enforcement decree. “The value of the food provided was 30,000 won or less per person, falling within the permitted scope for social or ceremonial purposes,” the court said. The court also pointed to the pair’s personal ties dating to 2006, when they worked together, that the meeting was not planned in advance and happened by chance, and that other staff who attended also knew the Coupang CLS executive. A had been handling industrial accident-related work at the ministry when, around February last year, a Coupang CLS executive provided lunch worth 165,000 won to A and four colleagues. After learning of it, the head of A’s agency notified the court that A had violated the anti-graft law, triggering fine proceedings. In March, the court decided in a summary ruling not to impose a fine. Prosecutors objected, leading to formal proceedings. The government has continued to stress compliance with the anti-graft law. At a National Assembly hearing on Coupang last year, Labor Minister Kim Young-hoon cited several grade 5 and 6 officials who moved to Coupang from six labor offices before the presidential election and warned of punishment at a “ruinous” level, ordering officials not to make contact.* This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-26 10:43:58 -
KBO League Tops 2 Million Fans in Record 117 Games The KBO League’s early-season surge in attendance has set another record, reaching 2 million fans in the fewest games in league history. The Korea Baseball Organization said 99,905 fans attended games across five stadiums on the 25th, pushing season attendance to 2,094,481. Four parks sold out: Jamsil (23,750), Gwangju-Kia Champions Field (20,500), Gocheok Sky Dome (16,000) and Daejeon Hanwha Life Ballpark (17,000). Incheon SSG Landers Field, with a capacity of 23,000, drew 22,655, just short of a sellout. The league reached 2 million in 117 regular-season games, breaking last year’s record of 118 games for the same milestone. The KBO has been drawing strongly since opening day. On the 10th, it topped 1 million fans in 55 games, beating the previous record set in 2025 (60 games). Average attendance this season stands at 17,902 per game, up 7.9% from 16,596 at the same point last year. After setting an all-time record of 12,312,519 total fans last year, the KBO is running ahead of that pace again, fueling expectations of topping 10 million for a third straight year.* This article has been translated by AI. 2026-04-26 10:43:13
