Kim Jeong-cheol Accuses Jung Won-oh of Claiming Diminished Capacity During Assault Trial

by MOONKI CHANG Posted : May 19, 2026, 16:57Updated : May 19, 2026, 16:57
Kim Jeong-cheol, Reform Party's Seoul mayoral candidate
Kim Jeong-cheol, Reform Party's Seoul mayoral candidate [Photo=Yonhap News]
On May 19, Kim Jeong-cheol, the Reform Party's candidate for Seoul mayor, pointed out that Jung Won-oh, the Democratic Party's candidate, claimed diminished capacity during his assault trial related to past incidents. Jung has previously explained that his altercations stemmed from differing views on the May 18 Democratic Uprising.

During a press conference at the National Assembly, Kim stated, "The court documents indicate that Jung argued he was in a state of diminished capacity due to alcohol. While he now claims he fought over the May 18 issue, he previously asserted in court that he was intoxicated and not in control of his faculties."

Kim criticized Jung's inconsistency, saying, "It doesn’t add up that Jung, who claimed he couldn’t remember due to drinking, now asserts that the fight was over differing views on the May 18 Democratic Uprising."

He further emphasized that there is a societal consensus that alcohol should not lessen the responsibility for violence. "Yet Jung claimed diminished capacity due to alcohol during his trial, and the Democratic Party has put forth such a candidate for mayor of Seoul," he said.

Kim also highlighted that there was no sincere remorse or reconciliation with victims noted in the court documents regarding Jung's past crimes. The ruling did not mention any mitigating circumstances such as the defendant's remorse, agreements with victims, or character references, which are typically considered in sentencing.

"The ruling confirms that there was no agreement with the victims or any sincere remorse or apology when the judge determined the sentence," Kim said. "Jung has emphasized that the court documents speak for themselves, but he can no longer hide behind them."

Accompanying Kim at the press conference, Cheon Ha-ram, the Reform Party's floor leader, remarked, "A fine of 3 million won is equivalent to a year's salary based on the minimum wage at that time, indicating that the court imposed a very severe sentence. Furthermore, since Jung's claims about the May 18 incident and diminished capacity contradict each other, he has either misled the public or the court, or both."

Jung was fined 3 million won in July 1996 for assaulting two citizens and two police officers while drinking in Yangcheon District in October 1995, when he was an aide to the Yangcheon District Mayor. According to the minutes from the Yangcheon District Council, the incident reportedly stemmed from Jung's demand for an overnight stay with a female employee at an entertainment establishment, which was refused.

In response, Jung has maintained that the altercation was due to differing views on the May 18 Democratic Uprising. However, according to a recording released by People Power Party lawmaker Joo Jin-woo, the victim stated, "To my recollection, there was no argument related to May 18 at all."

In light of these developments, the People Power Party filed a complaint against Jung on May 18 for disseminating false information and perjury, alleging that he misrepresented his past assault record and falsely accused lawmakers Kim Jae-seop and Joo of wrongdoing by releasing the council minutes and victim recordings.




* This article has been translated by AI.